- Medford Music House, 197 Oak Street, Medford, NY 11763; (631) 654-8449; Website: http://www.medfordmusichouse.com/; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Contacts: Mary & Jim Gubitosi, Proprietors (and unofficial village historians). -- Some years back they created an incipient Medford Historical Society that met one Thursday a month at the Medford Fire House. At one time they were and perhaps are still gathering material for a museum.
- Medford Chamber of Commerce. P.O. Box 926, Medford, NY 11763; (631) 386-8899 Website: https://www.medfordchamberny.org/; Email: https://www.medfordchamberny.org/contact.html Contacts: Paige Tarver, President; Larry Jaeger, First Vice President; Paul Donoghue, Second Vice President; Shawn-Patrick Reese, Treasurer; Marc Andrew Kramer, Esq.
- Greater Patchogue Chamber of Commerce: 15 North Ocean Avenue, Patchogue, NY 11772; Tel.: (631) 207-1000; Fax: (631) 475-1599; Website: http://www.patchogue.com/; Contacts: David Kennedy, Executive Director; James Skidmore, President; Lou Commisso, Vice President; Melissa Kuehnle, Vice President; Alice DeMonte, Recording Secretary; Tiffany Rivera, Corresponding Secretary; Jason Volini, Treasurer; Jacqueline Hensley, Former President.
- Greater Patchogue Historical Society, P.O. Box 102, Patchogue, NY 11772; Website: http://www.greaterpatchoguehistoricalsociety.com/; Contacts: Jim Roselle, President; Linda DiLauro, Rosemary Lucas, Vice Presidents; Steve Lucas, Treasurer; Sandra Marshak, Secretary; Dorothy Pavacic, Corresponding Secretary; Alyson Roselle, Society Historian; Peter Berman, Historian/Curator.
- Incorporated Village of Patchogue. Historian: Hans Henke, 78 North Prospect Avenue, Patchogue, NY 11772; Tel.: (631) 289-1062 (home); Email: email@example.com; Note: Copies of Patchogue: The Early Years and Patchogue: The Twentieth Century are available directly through the author, Mr. Henke, each priced @ $26.00.
- Cedar Grove Cemetery Association, P.O. Box 212, (80 Jennings Avenue), Patchogue, NY 11772; tel.: (631) 447-1971 -- Note: Some initial burials here were later transferred to Lakeview Cemetery
- Lakeview Cemetery: Cemetery Restoration Committee c/o Greater Patchogue Foundation, 15 North Ocean Avenue, Patchogue, NY 11772; website: www.cemeteryrestorationcommittee.com Note: Lakeview Cemetery, actually 5 cemeteries in 1, had been overgrown and seriously vandalized, but between 2006-2016, Hans Henke, then Steve Gill had been prime movers in restoration and maintenance of the cemetery, and have recently passed the reins to Ralph Wright, whose committee is seeking funds to ensure regular, long term maintenance of the cemetery. -- Some burials, initially interred in Cedar Grove Cemetery, were transferred here.
- Patchogue Hebrew Cemetery: 208-212 Peconic Ave, Holtsville, NY 11742; Patchogue Hebrew Cemetery Association: Contact: Liz Efimetz, Principal Officer, EIN# 11-6076275, P.O. Box 293, Patchogue, NY 11772; Tel.: (631) 475-0310; affiliated with Temple Beth-El of Patchogue, 45 Oak Street, Patchogue, NY 11772; Tel.: (631) 475-1882 -- Some burials, initially interred in other cemeteries, were transferred here.
- St. Francis de Sales Cemetery, East 2nd St., Patchogue, NY 11772; affiliated with St. Francis de Sales R.C. Church, 7 Amity Street, Patchogue, NY; Tel: (631) 475-0161.
Brookhaven (N.Y. : Town)
Brookhaven Town Historian: Barbara Russell, Brookhaven Town Hall, One Independence Hill, Historian's Office, Farmingville, NY 11738; Tel.: (631) 451-8038; Fax: (631) 451-8039, Web Page: http://www.brookhaven.org/History/BrookhavenTownHistory.aspx
Suffolk County, NY
Suffolk County Archeological Association: P.O. Box 1542, Stony Brook, NY 11790; Officers: Douglas DeRenzo, President; Dave Thompson, Vice President; Elena Eritta, VP Marine Archaeology; Laurie Billadello, Corresponding Secretary; Gaynell Stone, Ph.D., Recording Secretary, Museum Director, & Editor, Readings in Long Island Archaeology and Ethnohistory (8-vol. series, so far); Randi Vogt, Treasurer & Web Master; Tel.: (631) 929-8725; Fax: (631) 929-6967; Website: http://www.scaa-ny.org/
East Hampton Library. The Morton Pennypacker Long Island Collection, 159 Main Street, East Hampton, NY 11937. Contacts: Gina Piastuck, Department Head; Steve Boerner, Librarian/Archivist; Suzanne Setter, Librarian; ; Department Tel.: (631) 324-0222, ext. 4; Web page: http://www.easthamptonlibrary.org/history/index.html
Smithtown Library. Richard H. Handley Collection of Long Island Americana, 1 North Country Road, Smithtown, NY 11787. Contacts: Long Island Room Librarians; Tel.: (631) 360-2480, Ext. 197. Email: http://www.smithlib.org/general-information/contact.html; Web Page: http://www.smithlib.org/long-island-room.html
Suffolk County Historical Society, 300 West Main Street, Riverhead, NY 11901-2894. Officers: Kathryn M. Curran, Director; Lynn Egan, Assistant Director; Ruth Vosburgh, Administrative Assistant;Edward H.L. Smith, III, Librarian; Amy Folk, Collections Manager; Emma Ballou, Curator; Lee G. Thumser, Gift Shop and Volunteer Coordinator; Mary Beth Finnegan, Administrative Assistant/Bookkeeper. Tel.: (631) 727-2881. Fax: (631) 727-3467; Hours: 12:30-4:30 P.M.: Museum: Tu-Sat; Library: W-Sat -- The Society maintains a museum, library & archives, Weathervane Gift Shop (located in the museum basement), and conducts educational programs. The latter is one of L.I.’s best-stocked, best-kept open secrets: a fine source of local history material, ranging from children’s historically-oriented coloring books and historical fluff & puffery, to local history classics, hard-to-find & out-of-print works, as well as recent publications & new scholarship in local history, archaeology, and anthropology. S.C.H.S. published The Register; and now the Newsletter of the Suffolk County Historical Society (online back issues)
Main website: http://suffolkcountyhistoricalsociety.org/
Library & Archives web page: http://suffolkcountyhistoricalsociety.org/library.html
Suffolk County Museum web page: http://suffolkcountyhistoricalsociety.org/museum.html
Weathervane Gift Shop web page: http://suffolkcountyhistoricalsociety.org/gifts.html
The Register web page: http://suffolkcountyhistoricalsociety.org/the_register.html -- Includes recent full-text, downloadable material
Newsletter of the Suffolk County Historical Society web page (Media Room):
Suffolk County, NY -- Government Records & Archives
Suffolk County Archivist, Sharon A. Pullen, C.A., MSLIS, Office of the County Clerk. Historic Documents Library, 310 Center Drive, Riverhead, NY 11901-3392. Tel: (631) 852-2000, ext. 700.Fax: (631) 852-2004; Web Pages & directories of particular interest:
Historic Documents Library
Suffolk Historical Societies, comp. by Sharon A. Pullen
Archives and Manuscript Repositories in Nassau and Suffolk Counties, comp. by Sharon A. Pullen
Suffolk County Clerk: Judith A. Pasquale, 310 Center Drive, Riverhead, NY 11901. Tel.: (631) 852-2000; web page: http://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/departments/countyclerk.aspx -- Note esp. the entry on Torrens. The County Clerk’s and County Surrogate’s Office (in the same building) are prime places to research the history of house ownership in Suffolk County. You will need your Suffolk County Property Tax I.D. number to access online records.
Suffolk County Clerk’s Office. Historical Documents Library [Alphabetic Nassau-Suffolk Repository Listing] http://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Departments/CountyClerk/HistoricDocumentsLibrary/RepositoryDirectory.aspx – Contact information is likely to have changed. But, the institutions are likely to have retained materials pertinent to their geographic locale and/or area(s) of specialization.
Suffolk County Police Historical Society [& Museum], The John L. Barry Suffolk County Police Headquarters, (P.O. Box 343), 30 Yaphank Avenue, Yaphank, NY 11980; tel.: (631) 852-6174. Hours: 10 AM - 4 PM daily. Contacts: Police Officer Edward J. Johntry, Department Historian; Lt. Thomas B. Smith, Museum Curator; Capt. Douglas Rilling, President. Website: http://apps.suffolkcountyny.gov/police/historicalsociety.htm
Long Island, NY
-- History & Historical Societies
Long Island Radio and TV Historical Society – Preserving Wireless History, 41 Sayville Boulevard, Sayville, NY 11782; Contact: Constance Currie, Past President; website: http://www.lirtvhs.org/
Long Island Rail Road, Alphabetical Station Listing and History – Compiled from data researched by Vincent F. Seyfried, Robert M. Emery, Art Huneke, and Jeff Erlitz. Website: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirrphotos/LIRR%20Station%20History.htm
Long Island Studies Council, 496 Clarendon Road, Uniondale, NY 11553; Contact: Dr. Natalie Naylor, Co-President; Founder & Director Emerita, of Hofstra University’s Long Island Studies Institute
Libraries, Archives, & Special Collections
Hofstra University. Special Collections Department. Long Island Studies Institute. Room 032. Contact: Prof. Geri Solomon, Assistant Dean of Special Collections, tel.: (516) 463-6407. Website: http://www.hofstra.edu/Library/libspc/libspc_lisi_main.html. -- The Institute and Special Collections Department at Hofstra University’s Axinn Library (see below) are rich sources of information on both Nassau County and Long Island history, as well as of N.Y.S. and U.S. general and suburban historical studies
Hofstra University. Joan and Donald E. Axinn Library. Special Collections Department. Long Island Studies Institute Collections. Website: @ http://www.hofstra.edu/pdf/Library/libspc_lisi_collections.pdf – excellent resource
Long Island Library Resources Council. Documentary Heritage Program: Contact: LILRC Regional Archivist. Tel.: (631) 675-1570; Fax: (631) 675-1573. Main web pages:
Documentary Heritage Program @ http://www.lilrc.org/progsvce/dhp.php
Nassau County Libraries Historic Newspaper Collections @ http://www.longislandmemories.org/linews.php
Regional Digitization Program @ http://www.lilrc.org/progsvce/digitization.php
Long Island Memories @ http://www.longislandmemories.org/
State University of New York at Stony Brook. Special Collections and University Archives: Stony Brook University Libraries, Frank Melville, Jr. Memorial Library, Room E-2320 Stony Brook, NY 11794-3323; Contact: Kristen J. Nyitray, Head, Special Collections & University Archives / University Archivist / Associate Librarian. Tel.: (631) 632-7119, Email: Kristen.firstname.lastname@example.org ; Lynn Toscano, Asst. Head, University Archives and Special Collections, Email: email@example.com. Main web pages:
Special Collections and University Archives, Contact Information:
Guide to Special Collections, A to Z Listing:
Long Island Collections (Digital Collections):
Maps and Atlases: http://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/libspecial/collections/maps.html
University Archives: http://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/libspecial/collections/archives/index.html
Note: The University Libraries’ Archives & Special Colections include excellent L.I-related resources and a LI / NYS-
related map collection, that is is the best on L.I., short of NYC. The Map Library is in the Frank Melville, Jr. Memorial
Library, 2nd Floor.
Cradle of Aviation Museum and Education Center, Charles Lindburgh Boulevard, Garden City, NY 11530. Tel.: (516) 572-4111. Andrew Parton, Executive Director; Website: https://www.cradleofaviation.org/
Long Island Maritime Museum: (P.O. Box 184), 86 West Avenue, West Sayville, NY 11796; Tel.: (631) 447-8679. Contacts: Capt. Mike Caldwell, Executive Director; Michael Eagan, Chairman, Board of Trustees; Barbara Forde, Librarian; Website: @ http://limaritime.org/
Long Island Museum Association [LIMA], P.O. Box 1063, Huntington, NY 11743; website: @ http://www.limamuseums.org/index.html
- Long Island Rail Road History Website (Unofficial). Contact: Robert W. Andersen, Site Owner. Website: @ http://www.lirrhistory.com/
New York City
- Brooklyn Historical Society (formerly Long Island Historical Society) http://www.brooklynhistory.org/
Brooklyn Collection (Brooklyn Public Library) -- Includes much material on the rest of L.I., as well http://www.brooklynhistory.org/. See also Brooklyn Newsstand: Brooklyn Daily Eagle, under Newspapers (below)
New York Public Library https://www.nypl.org/
New York City Municipal Archives http://nycma.lunaimaging.com/luna/servlet
New York Genealogical and Biographical Society https://www.newyorkfamilyhistory.org/
New York Historical Society (New York, NY) http://www.nyhistory.org/
Queens Borough Public Library. Long Island Room, Jamaica, NY. Tel.: (718) 990-0728
New York State
- APHNYS – Association of Public Historians of New York State Website: Find an Historian: http://www.aphnys.org/find-an-historian/ Lets you search for contact information by county, name, or region (some are difficult to find, such as Suffolk Town Historians), also offers a Speaker’s Bureau, historical markers links, and an Historians’ Manual, among other useful resources.
New York State Archives. Region 10 – Metro-Long Island Region (Bronx, Kings, Nassau, New York, Queens, Richmond, and Suffolk Counties): Lorraine Hill, Regional Advisory Officer; Suffolk State Office Building, Room 3A, Veterans Memorial Highway, Hauppauge, NY 11788-5501; tel.: (631) 521-9796; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Staff Directory, NYS Archives website: http://www.archives.nysed.gov/a/directories/dir_staff.shtml#Advisory
- New York State Historical Society (Cooperstown, NY) http://www.nysha.org/
- New York State Museum http://www.nysm.nysed.gov/
New York State Library
Digital Collections http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/scandocs/
Electronic Resources http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/elecres.htm
Excelsior: New York State Library/Archives/Museum Catalog https://nysl.nysed.gov/uhtbin/cgisirsi.exe/x/x/0/49
Note: Includes Nassau & Suffolk portions of NYS Historical Documents Inventory not available in print,
elsewhere -- listing archival holdings of surveyed institutions, and their location at the time of the survey
- Ask a Librarian http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/ask.htm
- U.S. Library of Congress https://www.loc.gov/
- U.S. National Archives https://www.archives.gov/
- U.S. Smithsonian Institution https://www.si.edu/
- U.S. Army. Military History Institute (Carlisle Barracks, PA) http://usawc.libguides.com/graduates_others
- U.S. National Personnel Records Center (St. Louis, MO) https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel
- U.S. Navy. Library. Ships History Branch https://www.history.navy.mil/research/histories/ship-histories.html
NYS Historic Newspapers: Suffolk County, New York, [1822-2007] (formerly Suffolk Historic Newspapers. Contains selected runs of weekly newspapers, selected by public libraries from nine regions of the County. Website: http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/titles/places/new_york/suffolk/
Brooklyn Newsstand: Brooklyn Daily Eagle Online, 1841-1955 (Brooklyn Public Library. Brooklyn Collection) - Click on Brooklyn Daily Eagle: This daily (as opposed to weekly) newspaper covered not only Brooklyn, but Long Island communities, from Brooklyn to Montauk & Orient, and points in-between. It rewards searching. See also the Eagle's Selected Subjects link(lower left-hand column) -- clickable subject areas, listed from A to W -- as well as information on the history of the newspaper, and on its digitization. https://bklyn.newspapers.com/
- Searchable at Patchogue-Medford Library, through the Library's subscription, and at many other Long Island area Libraries are the New York Times, historical edition, 1851-2007 and Newsday, historical edition, 1940-1984, as well as their current editions. Both often prove valuable sources of Long Island historical information.