Montauk[ett] Indian Nation (Metouac)
See also Classic L.I. Histories and Document Collections web page
See also L.I. Indians (Prehistory and History) web page
See also Shinnecock Indian Nation web page
See also Unkechaug [Patchogue] Indian Nation web page
- Important Links (Montauk Indian Nation) - Grouped into "Suggested Reading", "External Links", and"Downloadable Documents"
- Matouwac Research Center (Montauk Indian Nation)
- Metoac History (First Nations: Issues of Consequence. Histories
- Montauk Tribe (MontaukTribe.org)
- Short Narrative of My Life [autobiography], by Samson Occum (Montauk Tribe.org)
- Tribal History Overview (Montauk Tribe.org)
- Museum of the American Indian. Heye Foundation. A Montauk Cemetery at Easthampton, Long Island, by Foster H. Saville. [Indian Notes and Monographs: A Series of Publications Relating to American Aborigines, 2(3)], 1920. (Internet Archive)
--- PML Catalog Sampler:
- History and Archaeology of the Montauk (Reading in Long Island Archaeology and Ethnohistory, v. 3), Gaynell Stone, ed. Stony Brook, NY: Suffolk County Archaeology Association, 1993.
- The Montaukett Indians of Eastern Long Island, by John A. Strong. Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press, 2001.
-- PML Vertical File Sampler:
- "King of the Montauk Indians." Brooklyn Eagle, July 23, 1870: p. 2. -- David L. Pharaoh assumes his duties
- The Montauk Indians (Long Island Items). Brooklyn Eagle, January 31, 1871: p. 8. -- a NYS legislative bill to incorporate the Montauk Indians, and its legislative opponents
- "An Indian War on Long Island," New York Times, June 19, 1871: p. 5. -- Progressive watering down of Indian claims to their own land provokes a court battle.
- "Montauk Point: Its Indians and Traditions -- The Famous Lighthouse." New York Times, August 12, 1873: p. 5.
- "Long Island Towns. Montauk and Its Surroundings. The Trip from Gardiner's Island - An Ancient Contract with the Indians - A Talk with the King of the 'Meantauks' - Friends of the Indians - The Decline of the Tribe." New York Times, September 12, 1875: p. 10.
- "Law Reports. The Montauk Indian Lands. Judge Dykman Grants an Order for the Partition of the Property." New York Times, June 23, 1878: p. 5.
- "Slaughtering the Cattle." Brooklyn Eagle, May 27, 1879: p. 4. -- an undisclosed cattle disease, traced back to the herd sold by Isaac Billard, had infected both East Hampton and Montauk Reservation cattle
- "Montauk Sold by Auction: A Brooklyn Capitalist the Purchaser. A Great Price for a Great Waste of Sand - How the Land was Bought from the Indians." New York Times, October 23, 1879: p. 8.
- "A Bogus Murder Story Exploded." Brooklyn Eagle, September 9, 1885: p. 4. -- claims, according to the coroner, that Pharaoh's death was not murder, but accidental, drowning when he fell overboard, from a vessel in Port Jefferson, while inebrated
- "Stole a Barrel of Whiskey." Brooklyn Eagle, October 26, 1885: p. 6. -- continuing the stereotype
- "A Legend of Long Island: Weckatuck, the Enchanted Spring Near Sagaponack. Magical Effect of the Water -- The Princess Ashwa -- A Charm for Sailors -- The Squaw Tianna and the Plague on Montauk -- Indian Dudes and Forest, Maidens Where Summer Vacation Makers Now Gather." Brooklyn Eagle, March 24, 1889: p. 2.
- "Death of King Pharaoh." Brooklyn Eagle, June 20, 1894: p. 12. -- Death, and burial, in Franklinville, of John Hannibal (a/k/a King Pharaoh)
- "New of the Railroads. Austin Corbin Acquires 5,500 Acres of Land at Montauk Point." New York Times, June 1, 1895: p. 10.
- "Went Back to Their Pasturage: Cattle that were Driven from the Montauk LandsBroke Down the Fences and Returned to Graze." New York Times, July 21, 1895: p. 5.
- "Roadways on Mr. Corbin's Land. Indians and Cattle Made Them - Who Owns Them Now?" New York Times, October 14, 1895 : p. 5.
- "The Death of Princess Momone: An Indian Legend of the Montauks on L.I." New York Times, December 8, 1895: p. 15.
- "Indians' Claim for Montauk Point." New York Times, June 6, 1897: p. 21.
- "Suing for Montauk Point. Montauk Indians Trying to Wrest It from the Railroad Company." New York Times, June 20, 1897: p. 23.
- "Latest Long Island News. Hearing of the Montauk Indian Case Temporarily Interrupted. Justice Smith the Cause. Years Ago His Honor was Counsel in an Indian Partition Suit -- That May Disqualify Him from Passing Upon the Present Litigation -- Mohegans from Connecticut Interested Attendants -- They Have a Similar Case of Their Own." Brooklyn Eagle, June 20, 1897: p. 12.
- "Montauks' Second Action: Against the Long Island Railroadf to Regain Possession of the Lands They Claim." Brooklyn Eagle, June 20, 1898: p. 16.
- "Want Demurrer Dismissed." Brooklyn Eagle, November 20, 1898: p. 10.
- "Judgement for the Railroad." Brooklyn Eagle, March 1, 1899: p. 7. -- a suit by the Montauks against the LIRR, dating from 1897, sustained in court.
- "Montauks Try Again: Appellate Court Decides in Their Favor in Indian Land Suit." Brooklyn Eagle, July 8,1899: p. 7.
- "U.S. Bureau of Ethnology to [Survey] Indians." Brooklyn Eagle, February 16, 1902: p. 41.
- "The Montauk Indian Bill. Arguments Heard for and Against Its Passage at Albany." New York Times, February 20, 1902: p. 5.
- "Montauk Indians' Bill Recommitted." New York Times, February 28, 1903: p. 7.
- "New York Legislature: Montauk Indian Bill Laid Aside in the Senate." New York Times, March 17, 1903: p. 5.
- "Elsberg Hit at Raines: Senate Feud Revived in Debate Over Montauk Indian Bill." New York Times, March 31, 1905: p. 3.
- "Indians Can't Get Lands: Court Rules They Cannot Reoccupy Acreage at Montauk Point." New York Times, October 12, 1910: p. 6.
- "Indian Culture at L.I. Outpost." New York Times, August 26, 1973: p. 90.
- "Suffolk Digging into Montauk's Past." New York Times, August 10, 1975: p. 71.
- DeLatiner, Barbara. "Learning a Heritage." New York Times, April 11, 1976: p. 439.
- Rather, John. "Indian Lore Delays Montauk Developer." New York Times, September 20, 1981: p. L 14.
- DeLainter, Barbara. "Indian Uses Art to Recapture His Roots." New York Times, June 14, 1987: p. LI 31.
- DeLatiner, Barbara. "New Exhibit Sheds Light on the Ancient Montauk Indians." New York Times, January 27, 1991: p. LI 13.
- Fullam, Anne C. "Montauk Leader Sees Hope for Official Tribal Recognition." New York Times, October 11, 1992: p. LI 10.
- Harrington, Mark. "Tribe Seeks State Recognition." Newsday, July 14, 2022: p. A14.
- Gormley, Michael. "Hochul Vetoes Bill On Tribe Recognition." Newsday, December 17, 2022: p. A5.