Carnegie Library Addition

Architect's conception of the 1958 Carnegie Library Addition, then quite modern, featuring a lot of glass frntage, admitting much light during the day, in a split level arrangement.  This was in stark contrast to the more traditional architecture of the original section, to the right, which had undergone a series of patchwork repairs over the past half century.  By 1958, in the wake of the postwar baby boom and growth of suburbia, and demand from residents, expansion of the collection and services, and pressure from nearby Medford to extend services led to a contractual service arrangement, in 1950.  The size of the population served and space limits within the library, already tight before WWII, eventually led to this Addition.