On June 12, 1883, the organizational meeting creating the Patchogue Library Association, was held in this building, then the home of John Joseph Craven, who would become its President, and remain so until his death, 10 years later. The house stood on a large property at Main Street and Medford Avenue (Route 112). Dr. Craven was an inventor, had commanded several Federal medical departments during the Civil War, and been Jefferson Davis' prison doctor at Fort Monroe, and had written an international best seller about his experiences there. The house pictured had earlier been the home of John S. Havens, Supervisor of Brookhaven Town during the Civil War, also owner of what would later become Shands (today's Brickhouse Brewery). The pictured home would later be owned by the Canfield-Tuthill family (of newspaper fame), and serve as the local USO during WWI, then the home of the Elks (BPOE), before it was torn down in the 1990's.